Sunday, October 21, 2012

LOCK AND KEY

When I was getting things ready for the launch of CNN-I I ordered 5 desks, 5 desk chairs, and 5 filing cabinets from the company's usual supplier. When they came in and were put in place the delivery guy handed me the keys to the desks and cabinets: all serial #00001. Each key fit every desk and every file cabinet. I said: "What the @#$%^&@?" He said: "Unless you specify they all come that way and they fit any and all locks with that number." So I walked around testing, opening up file cabinets all over CNN, including some outside CNN'S executive offices. I went to the next floor, opening file cabinets along the hallways of TBS.
I then went to the afternoon story meeting in the CNN conference room. At the end of the meeting I stood up and announced: "I have a field trip." Without further explaining we got on the elevator and went to the 3rd floor....where I had NOT tried this ahead of time. When we got to Ted Turner's outer office area I walked around opening up Ted's file cabinets. About that time Ted walked out and said: "What's going on?"
Soon there were locksmiths all over the complex!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment