Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A ONE-MAN BAND


Scene: I walked into an empty newsroom 7 pm 1,000 years ago.  The phone rang and it was the mayor with a big, big announcement.   I set the microwave receiver for city hall, loaded the truck, and told master control what was up.  I drove to city hall, set up on the sidewalk out front, and set up the transmitter, camera, a mic, light, and the two-way radio. I got the mayor, stood him in front of the camera, and cued master control by two-way to take the interrupt slide.  I began with “we interrupt this program”  and began to interview the mayor.  I closed the live shot, dropped the mic and told master control to “take net.”  I returned to the newsroom just as the anchor/producer guy was returning from dinner.  I handed him the tape and, said: “Here’s your new lead,” and walked out.

We'd live the life we choose
We'd fight and never lose
For we were young and sure to have our way.”

No comments:

Post a Comment